All Saints Internship Programme 2016/17

For more information on the All Saints Internship Programme starting in September 2016 please click here.

EU Referendum Debate

Tuesday 14th June 2016 7:30pm in Church. A Soul for the Union: why the referendum debate is on the wrong issues. Click for more information.

Holiday Club

for ages 3-11; Mon 15 – Thu 18 August. Volunteers needed to support this important (and fun!) week. Please contact Rosie Blackett if you can help.

A brief timeline

Early 13th Century. Ralf de Ecclesall gave a corn mill to Beauchief Abbey on condition that one of the canons would perform a daily service in his manor chapel. This was a chapel of ease and was situated near the manor house at Silver Hill - a little further up Ecclesall Road than the present site. The corn mill is believed to have been at Millhouses. A window in the church depicts Ralf de Ecclesall.  

1536 Chapel was closed with the dissolution of monasteries.  

1622 Reopened and restored. Chapel became too small and much decayed.  

1788 14th December. Church on the present site opened for divine service. 2 acres consecrated (Church graveyard now occupies 9 acres) on a spot called Carter-knoll. 20 seats set aside in the gallery for singers and one seat for the "Bell Ringer and Dog Whipper"  

1789 - Wednesday 5th August . Consecrated as a chapel of ease under the Parish Church of Sheffield. Factory like building!  

1834 First part of church school built.  

1843 Upper and lower windows joined. Tower raised to present height. Norman doorway inserted. New bell in tower.  

1849 Parish of Ecclesall Bierlow established. This stretched from the Limb Brook at Whirlow to Cambridge Street in the city centre and to Cherrytree, Sharrow where it met St Mary's parish. (The Limb Brook at Whirlow formed the border between Mercia and Northumbria and between the sees of York and Canterbury as well as between Yorkshire and Derbyshire) Since then several parishes have been formed from the original parish, the latest being St Gabriel's (Church built 1920, separate parish in 1988) (The Parish of Ecclesall Bierlow should not be confused with the registration district of Ecclesall Bierlow which existed from 1837 to 1935)

1864. Small chancel, porch and vestry added at east end. Evening service began.  

1867. Gas lighting introduced.  

1902 Nurse Torr of Dobbin Hill appointed first district nurse for Ecclesall. Wage £70 a year, "made possible by the liberality of a number of parishioners."  

1907 Foundation stone of new transept and chancel laid. Galleries removed. Architect was Temple Moore. Several gifts including many stained glass windows. Footing for nave pillars put in position for future rebuilding of nave.  

1908. Electric light installed.  

1915 Farm and land purchased (c. 1 acre) where Halls currently stand.

1924. Parish halls opened as memorial to the Ecclesall men who made the supreme sacrifice.

1947 Emergency roof repairs to Nave.

1960 Main Hall in Parish Halls opened.

1964 Reordering. New roof over nave supported by steel columns.  

1997 Reordering. All internal. New gallery at back of church. Narthex formed under the gallery. Pews replaced with chairs. Dais at front.  South column underpinned.

George Francis Underwood. The Story of Ecclesall Parish Church, Sheffield. 1938
Anon. Ecclesall Parish Church Bicentenary Souvenir 1987.
Margaret Naylor

The Church Grounds: The church grounds are a valued resource:  

Genealogy: The graveyard served a large part of the city for many years. The graves of many of the founders of Sheffield's steel industry are to be found here. 

Geology: Local sandstone was used for the gravestones until the coming of the railways meant different materials could be transported from further afield.  

Wildlife: The area provides an oasis for many forms of wildlife.  

Botany: The graveyard is managed by a team of volunteers, and trees and plants flourish.